Monday 25 February 2013

The Haves, The Have-Nots, and The Have-Somes

Make a difference for a fellow Canadian!
My bad day, when the last of the milk has been spilled by a careless gesture of a 6 year old boy, where I am out of apples to pack on lunches because I forgot to add them to my shopping list the day before, where I jump into the van, frazzled and hurried only to discover it's on empty...I take a deep breath.  I know it will be okay.  I'll buy more milk on the way home from work, I'll send a banana instead of an apple, and I'll rush to the gas station before work and top up the gas in the vehicle I am fortunate to have.  And when I get to the destination - which is a job that I get paid to do (and like!) - I roll up my cushioned chair up to my computer, log in, and start my day.  I start it with a feeling of gratefulness.

I am a Have-Some.  I have what I need - mostly when I need it.  I don't have everything I want - but if I did I wouldn't appreciate it.  I am blessed to not be a Have-Not.  I have solutions to my problems.  I have the ability to change my situation.  But others in my community are not so fortunate.  There are people that go hungry, that weep because their kids go to school hungry, seniors that choose a roof over their heads rather than 3 meals a day. 

At church on Sunday, Father Don stirred emotions in me, that triggered this posting.  He shared a need in our immediate community.  His suggestion - was brilliant on two levels.  The first suggestion was to pass up something in the grocery store that we usually tend to buy because we want to.  A "luxury" item, if you will.  Then we are to put that dollar value into a collection box which will help purchase grocery cards for this particular family.  The second, and frankly most important, point was to not focus on the money we were donating - but rather to experience the "going without" - to feel the sacrifice.  The emotion that this family has to go through on a regular basis, on a miniature scale.  It is fairly easy to drop a few dollars towards a good cause when reminded of the need - but to FEEL the need - now that is another story. 

I encourage you to figure out your "sacrifice" - and make a difference in your community.

I can't believe it but...if we were all Have-Somes, our community would be a better place.


Happy Sacrificing,

Kathy Pettit

No comments:

Post a Comment

You thought it - share it!