Monday 8 April 2013

Don't Let Your Want be a Wish!

I had a conversation last week with an old friend, and we were discussing the word “want” (obviously we either lead very boring lives to argue the finer points of a simple word - or we are such deep individuals that we see discussion where others find none!).  I voiced the opinion that I think it is an action word, where she felt it represents a feeling or desire. For instance, "I want to make lots of money", "I want to write a book",  "I want to win the lottery." So while I agree that the word can invoke desire or a feeling - I don't believe it ends there. 
 
Here is why I think it is an action word; If you REALLY want 'it' you will act on that want. If you don't take action, it is not truly a want, but rather more of a wish. Because if you want money, you become really successful at what you do or you may take on extra work to make lots of money. People that really want to write a book – do it – they take action. People play the lottery because they want to win it. You can’t win if you don’t play.  That last statement (I have no idea who coined it - but kudos to whomever is responsible!) is really a moniker for whatever we do, whether in our careers or our personal lives.

You can’t win if you don’t play!

If you don’t take action on whatever it is you want – you don’t deserve it. If you tried and failed (and I speak from experience here) – dust off those knees (I have actually tried so hard some of my pants have worn out knees!)  and try again! If you truly want something (I mean REALLY WANT IT!)– set the goal and take the first step and get out of your comfort zone.  Make want your action word!
 

I can't believe it but...I am taking action on some of my own wants.  Because I have wants - not wishes! 


Happy playing everyone! J
 
Kathy Pettit
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to deep individuals!

    The discernment of true wants, and the uncovering of wishes, takes deep thought, honesty and a certain amount of peace (I say a certain amount of peace, cause sometimes it's impossible to get complete peace in a given situation). Maybe that process is what turns the feelings and desires into action???

    Great post. Definitely food for thought. Major big squishy hugs!

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!