Tuesday 31 July 2012

Can I Can That?

Totally in love with canning!  I am a machine.  3 weeks ago I opened my new canner that I got for Christmas from my hubby - and I haven't stopped since.  I was worried it would be some sort of weird science experiment that I would suck at.  I envisioned exploded jars, jam on my ceiling, and blisters from the heat.  I am proud to share that none of that has happened.  I have made some pretty delicious things!  Even my picky 9 year old is excited about helping and tasting!  That, my readers, is a feat unto itself!

Given the fear of drought, floods and plain old world-coming-to-an-end winter - I figured I would buy fruit and veggies while the going was good and preserve them in all their summer glory with the cost still being reasonable.  So, when peaches and apples are $4 a pound....I can open a jar of my honey poached peaches :)  Mmmmm...yes I am bragging a a little bit, but hey - I have worked my tail off canning up a storm - I deserve a bit of bragging rights!

Hands down, best place to get fruit and veggies - our local markets.  Shop near the end of the day when vendors are anxious to sell their stock and not pack it back up to rot in their facilities!  Buy it up...buy it all up and can can can.  Or, just do the can can dance move if canning is not your thing. 

I can't believe it but...I am canning!

Kathy Pettit, aka Canning Queen (self-titled)

1 comment:

You thought it - share it!