Monday 24 September 2012

The Future - My Version

A gum commercial that advertises what a "taste experience in the future" will look like, got me thinking.  You know that creepy one where they're in a grey room and some weird black shapes appear in the sky?!   (And before you ask - that's my fireplace smoking - not my brain...seriously you guys are harsh!!)

Why do authors, film makers, and the general public visualize the future as bleak, stark and grey?  There seems to be excessive amounts of metal and concrete associated with our future, along with big random numbers painted on the walls.  The "futuristic" people are typically decked out in dismal colours, all looking alike - and no one appears "happy" in these circumstances.  Why?  Think back to the movies and commercials that reflect the future.  Is there one that I am missing that spins the future in a bright and sunny manner?  Are we so certain we are on the path of destruction and tree killing that we portray the future in that clinical way?  At that point have we used every can of yellow, pink, blue, and green paint that all any store has left is fifty shades of grey (totally included that randomly and then re-read it proud of my literal reference to literature - if you consider that literature...jury's out!)?

On all accounts companies, people and organizations are starting to take a more environmentally-friendly approach to life.  Which is great!  But should these changes not start to have a positive effect on our prediction of the future?  Can we actually attempt to paint a wall yellow in the next futuristic movie?  I would like us not to have to be living in a spaceship and eating some chemical concoction of a sea slug genetically altered with corn!

Here's my challenge to you:  Jot down what your future would look like.  Look around your home and imagine what will change, and what will stay the same.  Picture yourself there - with a smile.  I imagine in 1950 they predicted 2012 to be pretty dim and depressing.  Yet here we are.  And now we drive orange cars, have energy efficient lighting, plug our cars in to charge, recycle our paper and waste products, and the majority is not choosing grey as the sole colour to decorate their home!  (Although - on a side note - grey is hot right now.  Not for me though...if I'm going to be stuck with that in my future I'll surround myself in some colour!)

My future is bright and sunny!   Reducing the chemicals we use in our gardens and farms.  Eating more natural, whole foods and avoiding over processing anything into unrecognizable bundles of garbage.  Having neighbours of different cultures, beliefs and backgrounds all respecting each other and supporting each other.  A world where the populace recognizes that stealing, violence and hatred fuel a negative and unsustainable model of survival.  A community where we share the plenty with those that need it so they don't have to resort to the negative measures to meet their basic needs.  I may just write a book about it.  My Little Utopia.  Impossible...nah!  Nothing is impossible.  Difficult, yes...impossible, no! 

I can't believe it but...I referred to 50 shades of grey (paint) and the future in one posting!


Happy jotting,

Kathy Pettit



1 comment:

  1. You are nothing but colour - no grey (not yet - your time will come for hair colour!). I see a bright future coloured with shades of generousity, kindness & sustainability. Warm & friendly. No concrete - well, except for the driveway and sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!