Tuesday 29 January 2013

Nag Nag Nag - Repeat - Or Not?

Amen

Children are awesome (most of the time)!  Hubby and I know we are blessed (most of the time)!  Sometimes our kids unwittingly teach US something.  But the trick is remembering to listen.
 
So our last post shared our intention of a family meeting and introducing a Mission for our family.  For those wondering - it went so well!  Coconut, Peach and Pickle were so receptive and excited about our plan - that we were actually taken aback.  We expected some push back or disinterest in the poster.  But they were EXCITED!  They took turns reading it, and gave examples, without us really asking of HOW they could be better, kinder, and more helpful.  They were especially happy about being able to redirect each other and Hubby and I if we needed reminding of the family rules. 
 
The other item that was an "aha" moment for us is when we introduced the "Chore Chart."  An hour before our meeting Pickle was nagging me about what chores she was excited to sign up for.  During the meeting, the kids - seriously - were arguing about who gets to do what chore.  They even offered to sign up for more than one daily chore - which boggles my mind!  Normally repetition (a.k.a. nagging) is required to get them to accomplish tasks.  But for some reason - this whole approach has generated interest and commitment in our children.  The big question: WHY?
 
I think I may know the answer. They felt involved.  I think they saw their own personal value...and they saw how they could use it to benefit the group.  So when they had to choose 1 daily chore each, and 1 weekly chore each - they became part of the TEAM.  Not just on the team - but an integral PART of it.  Shame on us for not letting them see their potential.  Point noted.  Changes made.
 
So the game play is like this.  Rather than NAG NAG NAG - REPEAT...they can check the chart and get it done. 
 
I love it.  My kids are pretty great...and sometimes giving them the opportunity to show it builds their esteem.  I have to remember to do that more.  To let them know their input is valuable and appreciated.
 

I can't believe it but...my little punkins are growing and contributing!

 
Happy Aha Moments!
 
Kathy Pettit


4 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff. This post made me weepy--partly because of how great your kids are and partly because of your own growth as a mom.

    Consider me inspired. Time to incorporate a similar philosophy in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...us moms and our tears of joy! Thank you for the kind words :) If you stop learning you stop living!! My kids are sweet...and my growth is never ending! Glad you are inspired...

      Delete
  2. As a grandmother I am thinking that this is such a terrific extension of something I have also thought was the biggest gift you can give a child - self confidence. If we feel we CAN do anything - we can. If not, well we cannot. What an inspiring outcome. Good on you. I am going to share with my family for their use. Thanks Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim for great feedback! Agreed. I can say it is going so well! They are really checking the chart to see what thye're doing, and planning out the next day. they are even HELPING each other to complete the tasks - which is pretty amazing! The lessons we learn from our kids are sometimes the best ones - we just have to listen to them!

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!