Monday 14 January 2013

The Tales of a Tale

Writing can be hard work!  Sometimes the creativity gets sucked out of your very being when you   think too hard.  That's why I tend to avoid thinking really hard...it's just easier that way.  Mindless roboting is WAY more creative.


But, when you have a tale to tell you have to think and plan ahead.  I have finally started the second draft of my novel (which, in case you were interested I started several years ago and dropped like a hot potato while juggling diapers, bottles, and otherwise time-occupying tasks!).  I say second draft...but to be perfectly frank, I don't yet have an ending in my first draft - but I do have a hefty portion completed.  You see all the ideas are kind of percolating in my head....dripping through the grinds of my brain...finishing with a fine cup of coffee great ending.  I feel a bit embarrassed that I am admitting, publicly (as only a few know my fanciful dream of publishing a book) this little "secret."  The thing is, it's on my bucket list.  If it goes nowhere - I can still say "I did it, I wrote a book."  If it goes somewhere, I can pretend I am very accomplished, carry around a Sharpie so at any time I can make a fans' day by applying said Sharpie to various body parts of the book.  But it's hard.  I am sure the second draft will be grammatically challenged.  Luckily my hubby is the best editor on the planet (according to moi)!  Before I can apply Sharpie sigs to any book, he'll first take his red pen and tsk-tsk me into grammatically perfect form.

So my fans (sorry, a little carried away with the fame and fortune thing) friends, if you want to contribute - I think it would be kind of neat to allow my readers to come up with an idea or name (it is a fantasy/fiction novel) every now and then.  Please add your suggestions to the "comments" section and I may include them in my novel-to-be - and of course credit you in my long list of people I need to thank in my life! 

I guess I am sharing because I feel like I have now made a commitment, cemented the end result.  Publicly (although, there is a handy-dandy delete post button just in case!).

The very first bit I am looking for suggestions on is:  The name of the boat for the "bad" royalty.  It's fiction/fantasy so let your imagination run wild!

Happy reading!

I can't believe it but...my project is public knowledge.  Gulp! (Sorry that wasn't nerves, it was a swig of wine!)



Kathy Pettit


2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! Not only are you cementing this puppy into being (no puppies were harmed in the creation of this comment), but you're letting us help? Brilliant.

    How about Muirarach (loosely translated as sea dragon in Gaelic)? Or something more sinister, like Vehemence or Malevolence? This could be a fun exercise...

    And you go girl, wring that creativity out and keep at it. Who knew Peter was an editor? And that you were such a Sharpie fan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh....I like your suggestions :) I know I am pretty pumped and about the whole thing! It has taken on it's own life - which is pretty awesome :) Gotta love a Sharpie! And Peter - well he is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!