Wednesday 15 August 2012

Coffee, Friends and Garbage Grabbing!!

This morning, over coffee, I was reminded of the strength of my friends.  In this instance, I am referring to physical strength....not the mushy kind!

Speed walking has been a a big part of my life for the last year, as I am trying to be more physically active and fit.  Luckily there are a group of women in the neighbourhood that join me on my sweaty adventures!  A few months ago, 2 friends decided to come along.  I don't want to use their names (in case they aren't real friends and sue me ;P), but the important details are this:  One of them is maybe 5ft tall, while the other one is maybe 100lbs - soaking wet, after eating at a buffet!  You'll see the relevance in a minute.

Sundays are the best days to walk in our neighbourhood!  Monday is garbage day.  Luckily, I am blessed to live in such a great neighbourhood, that people put some pretty nice stuff at the side of the road, before garbage day - thinking someone may find use for it rather than having it end up in our local landfill.  Well, as we come around a bend I see a solid round wooden table.  Right away, I said I planned to bring it home.  Home is 2km away.  Being such good friends, they immediately said they would help.  So, my tiny friends and I took turns carrying this piece all the way home.  For 2 kilometres.  I think we burned a billion calories that day.  Our arms all burned....and we were exhausted.  When I look back and think about what they did - I am touched.  They didn't have to do that - but they did without question.  And I would do the same for them.  Gladly.

That is what friends do for each other.  They will gladly carry someone elses' garbage for you.  They will lighten your load or burden out of compassion.   They will sit with you over coffee and motivate you (to write -thanks, Diana!), offer advice - and make you laugh. 

If your friends won't participate in garbage grabbing for a hidden treasure with you, or help you carry your burden - lead by example.  Be the friend that you would want to have.

I can't believe it but...I just admitted online to garbage grabbing (I'll call it re-purposing so I sound all eco-friendlyish!)! 


Happy Dumpster Diving Re-Purposing!

Kathy Pettit

4 comments:

  1. Let's refer to it as "treasure collecting," shall we? Although I do like "repurposing" -- very professional.

    Cheers for friends, especially those friends willing to pick through posh people's garbage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very professional is my mantra. What does mantra mean again?

      Delete
  2. It is my honour to carry someone elses' garbage for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am glad I could honour you! Did I mention I have 2 dogs that create a lot of...ahem.."garbage." If you feel like being honoured again - I got a backyard full of "honourable" work!

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!