Sunday 12 August 2012

The Grass IS Greener...Only in My Yard, Not Theirs

Whilst Hubby and I did lay sod last weekend, I'm not referring to the lovely patch of greenly goodness that stands out like sore thumb in the midst of our crunchy brown memory of grass!
Sometimes life sucks.  It does.  It's okay to admit that.  Things we wanted to happen - didn't.  Things we wanted - we didn't get.  People that we were supposed to trust broke it.  A job we wanted - we lost.  A loved one fighting a battle lost.  These things matter...they do.  I'm here to tell you - your REACTION matters more.
Think about this:  Did "it" happen for someone else instead, to change their lives for the better?  Did someone else get what they wanted - because maybe they really needed it?  Did someone else get that job that needed it more than you? 

I read a great book (thanks to the advice of hubby), that I would encourage everyone to read, called "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" - GREAT book!  In it, the author uses this example to get the reader to rethink personal suffering: "If you are driving home from work, and suddenly you see a fire engine with it's light flashing turn onto your street, a normal reaction is, "Please don't be my house..."  Maybe you pray for your family's safety.  If it's not your house, is your neighbour more deserving of the loss?"  Questions like these cause me goosebumps.  In a true community, if your neighbour is suffering, so should you.  Instead, we tend to breathe a sigh of relief when bad things happen to other people and not us.  Normal.  But should it be? 

 Seriously.  Look around you at this moment.  I may not even know you - but I am guessing you have a pretty great life.  Focus on what you do have, rather than on what you don't.  Focus on the joy, however small it may seem, and stretch it out.  Let that JOY light a candle onto others, so they can share it with those around them.  Spend more time looking inward for happiness and fulfilment, and less time using what is on the other side of that fence as a stepping stone to discontentment.  If we live our lives comparing ourselves to others we will never be happy.  Ever.  Maybe you don't go on as many vacations as your friends, maybe you have an older, a smaller house...so what?  Maybe they are in need of a friend..maybe their marriage is hurting....maybe life is not being kind to them at this moment.  Admire their green grass and celebrate their blessings....but ENJOY your grass.  It's yours.  Use it with joy.

I can't believe it, but...I'm starting to appreciate the crispy grass.  This side of the fence is pretty great!


Happy days,

Kathy Pettit 

 




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great start to my day Kathy....your words resonate for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed to have you as a reader :) Have a wonderful week!! :)

      Delete
  2. Great Post Kathy. I am grateful for friends like you!!!!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise - ditto :) You are a kind soul...and thanks for taking the time to read this :) It's nice knowing people care...I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!