Saturday 18 August 2012

Pepper Spray, Stun Guns and Sugar Free Fudge!

Only in America!  Don't get me wrong - I love the USA.  I love the shopping (hehe I accidently typed the shpooing but corrected it - I get the giggles easily!), the food, the people. 

Myself, Hubby, Peach, Pickle and Coconut just spent the last few days in Erie Pennsylvania - shopping!  And this store, across from our hotel was Kali's Candy (http://tinyurl.com/cqektzz).  It is a Jelly-Belly outlet (mmmm...I likey the Jelly Belly...), only the sign stated the aforementioned (big word, I know - look it up if you need to!) along with, "Pepper Spray, Stun Guns and Sugar Free Fudge."  Really?  'Cause when I'm out lookin' for stun guns, I may be diabetic and get a hankerin' for some sugar free fudge?  (And let's have an honest moment here - is there really ANY value in a fudge that is sugar free?)

There is a ring of truth to the expression "jack of all trades, master at none."  This saying can be a guide in our professional lives, as well as our personal lives.  Over-extension is the enemy to being really great.  This is where a little focus can really help you to master whatever it is you are hoping to accomplish.  What is your speciality?  Are you using it?  I am sure this store is filling in the niches that are obviously missing elsewhere in this community.  But I have to wonder...if they focused on a particular area (i.e. self defence OR candy) would they become a master of their domain (no Seinfeld pun intended - again...giggling!!)?

I was guilty of it myself and took on too many things in my volunteering world, and felt I had let people down unintentionally.  I had good intentions...but I was spread so thin that I couldn't give 100% to anything.  I suffered, my family suffered, my work suffered, the organizations I wanted to be involved in probably suffered as well.  My intentions were good - but my performance was very much "jack of all trades."  My goal now is to focus on what I can do effectively.  I also had to practice saying the word, "no."  Although my kids will tell you that is my area of expertise...I struggled with it.  I encourage to you to take on what you can handle, focus on your passion, and let go of things that you are not successful at.  Drop them.  Like hot potatoes.  Revel in your success, and accept that whatever you put your mind to you will be master of.

I can't believe it but...somehow Seinfeld got drawn into this crazy post!!


Happy shopping!

Kathy Pettit

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Did I ever need this post today, just as a tempting request to spread myself even thinner hit my inbox.

    "Over-extension is the enemy to being really great." Bam. That's it, Kat, in the proverbial nut shell.

    And we're agreed. Sugar-free fudge is an abomination to fudge everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fudge = sugar + chocolate. Don't mess with the equation. Glad I could keep you chubbier...spreading yourself too thin is overrated!

      Delete
  2. And wait... you went SHPOOING in Erie, Pennsylvania???? Argh!!! Did you get some good deals on shoes and visit the Fashion Bug??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shpooing was not as good as Grove City. Missed the good times of Rumikub competitions :) Bring on the Shpooing at Grove City!

    ReplyDelete

You thought it - share it!